Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Batman Gotham Knight

So I watched this last night and I'll confess up front that I went in with low expectations. I enjoy some Anime and some anime-inspired work (like Teen Titans) but by and large the style does not appeal to me. I correctly anticipated my reaction as I did not enjoy the look of the movie and Kevin Conroy's voice come out of an emo androgynous Bruce Wayne was downright disconcerting.

The larger issue was that overall the stories were not well written. Heck, the first one was a rip-off (but I'll be generous and call it an "homage") to an episode of Batman: The Animated Series which involved a bunch of kids telling of their encounters with Batman. The Dead Shot story, the last one sadly, was actually pretty good but it's also the most traditional one so that may simply reveal my biases.

It may be that a viewer who enjoys Anime more than I do would enjoy Gotham Knights, I really can't say. I will say I didn't care for it and couldn't really recommend it.

No comments: